We're seeing more media reports of carbon monoxide poisoning incidents in Texas. If you know someone there who doesn't have power, check on them to make sure they are not using a portable generator indoors and that they have working carbon monoxide alarms in their home.
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide (CO) and it can kill a family within minutes. If you're running a portable generator, it must be outdoors and at least 20ft away from your home. One portable generator can literally produce the same amount of CO as hundreds of cars.
Besides portable generators, we're seeing reports of people using charcoal grills and home stoves to stay warm. Both of these products can produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide. Stoves should NEVER be used to heat a home. Charcoal grills should NEVER be used indoors.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, and confusion. If you or your family are experiencing these symptoms, get to fresh air immediately and call 9-1-1.
We know this all might seem basic, but as a power out goes on people get desperate. They can stop thinking clearly and sometimes take risks that could have deadly consequences. A simple reminder about CO from a friend or family member could save lives.
You can follow @USCPSC.
Tip: mention @twtextapp on a Twitter thread with the keyword “unroll” to get a link to it.

Latest Threads Unrolled:

By continuing to use the site, you are consenting to the use of cookies as explained in our Cookie Policy to improve your experience.